Wild Ginger Campylobacter Outbreak
In early November 2019, the Cortland County New York Health Department alerted residents of an outbreak of Campylobacteriosis among people who ate at Wild Ginger Asian Fusion, between 10/18/2019 and 10/31/2019.
Seven patrons tested positive for this bacterial infection. The investigation by the Cortand County Health Department regarding the Campylobacter outbreak is over at this time.
Most illnesses likely occur due to eating raw or undercooked poultry, or eating something that touched raw poultry. Campylobacter is usually not spread from person to person. People can begin to experience symptoms within 2 to 5 days after exposure and they can last up to a week. Often people do not experience any symptoms. Symptoms include diarrhea (often bloody), fever and abdominal cramping, nausea and vomiting.
The Health Department has alerted area physicians, hospitals and other health care providers to the outbreak. They have asked that care providers test and treat for Campylobacter.
"While gastrointestinal illness is never pleasant, campylobacteriosis is usually self-limiting and most people recover without treatment" said Catherine Feuerherm, Public Health Director. "We ask that anyone experiencing symptoms wash their hands frequently and be excluded from working in food handling jobs and in caring for vulnerable populations such as children, elderly and hospital patients during the time of infection."
Anyone experiencing symptoms after having eaten at Wild Ginger between October 18 and October 31,2019, should contact their provider.